| | Home | | About ICL | | ICL Talks | | Crazy Stuff | | Videos | | Personal Photos | | Photoblog | | 100 Things about Bloggers | |

If you want to rate this site on IrishBlogs click here -> Irish Bloggers. You'll also see it on some of my other sites above ~ please feel free to rate them as well, whether you like them or not :-) Thanks, lads!



Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11/01 - A tribute to Stephen Patrick Cherry

Stephen Patrick Cherry
and his sons
What a handsome man and his family. This picture is of Stephen and his family pre 9/11 and almost looks too perfect to be real. Like an advertisement for a cruise holiday, Stephen is full of life, the boys proud and happy to be with their Dad.
Although I do not know the year that this picture was taken, nor the ages of the boys, Stephen was 41 when he died in the World Trade Center. I would estimate that this picture was taken that summer.
He was from Stamford, Connecticut. A partner at Cantor Fitzgerald, and in his early forties with a large family, I'm sure he was at the prime of his career. A partner, at that age, is no small accomplishment.
If I had to guess, I would say his sons at that time were 12, 10, 6 and 2. If my assumption is correct, this would make them now 17, 15, 11, and 7. This is what I would like to say to them.

Boys, I did not know your father. I did not even know about him until today. But I want you to know that I have been thinking about him and looking for information about him on the internet.
I was contacted today by D.C. Roe of the 2996 Victims Tribute website.
In his final review of the List before tomorrow's five year anniversary of your father's death, he realized that some postings were missing, and made a prompt call for assistance from the many bloggers writing and thinking about all of the victims once again.
It is my privilege and honour to write about your father, in tribute to him, what he accomplished in his life and what he failed to accomplish only due to this tragedy. I wish I knew more about him and you.
It's hard to imagine having a father being taken from children at the young age that you were and still are. There is no rhyme or reason, no logic, no justice. I only hope that you are doing well and living life to the fullest in his memory.
I will keep you in my prayers, now that I know of you and your father. I do believe in fate and all the wonderful coincidences that God bestows on us.

Mrs. Cherry - I cannot find a picture of you, but by looking at your younger sons, I expect you must be blonde and very pretty to be blessed with such a handsome young brood. I hope that you are doing well, as well as can be expected, and always looking forward to your days ahead. I will also keep you in my prayers and thank you for the honour in writing about your husband.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family and the letter to his boys is so sweet. What a wonderful tribute!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Seeing your tribute to Stephen Patrick Cherry and a photo of him and his family makes me all the more mad on the people behind the tragedy.
Opening sites with tribute makes my heart bleed and brings tears to my eyes as I see all these young people losing their lives to something beyond their control. These cruel people who caused the tragedy just didn't care about these innocent lives, lives with yet unfulfilled dreams, lives who may have been depended upon by their loved ones.
My sympathy goes to all the victims' family of these Sept. 11/2001 tragedy. My heart will always have a special place for all of you.

Norma said...

I left a note also at the other tribute. Thank you for doing this.

Maribeth said...

Thank you for doing this. What a beautiful and loving tribute to a man, a real family man, who worked hard and was taken in his prime.
God Bless them all.

Carmen said...

What a beautiful family. And a beautiful way to honor them.

Anonymous said...

Both tributes are very wonderful. Thank you for sharing Stephen and Michael with us today! They will be rememered! Nicely done!

-tnchick- said...

Very moving, touched my heart. May his family be at peace today while the anniversary of 9/11 passes. They must cherish that photo.

I'm honoring FDNY's Peter Beilfeld.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely tribute! They look like such a nice family. What a shame their dad was taken away too soon.

Thanks for stopping by mine.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tributes to wonderful persons, both of them!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much for honoring those two who gave their lives....I too participated in the 2996 project...was a great way to honor them....Thanks,

Peace

Meira{FB} said...

So many children missing a parent after that awful day. It is so sad. Thank you for stepping up and taking on a second. I did so also. I put up one on my WP site. Last minute.

I hope his boy's grow up knowing their dad as a hero.

Schell said...

Wow, your words are amazing, what a tribute, you are truly to be commended. Beautiful.