| | Home | | About ICL | | ICL Talks | | Crazy Stuff | | Videos | | Personal Photos | | Photoblog | | 100 Things about Bloggers | |

If you want to rate this site on IrishBlogs click here -> Irish Bloggers. You'll also see it on some of my other sites above ~ please feel free to rate them as well, whether you like them or not :-) Thanks, lads!



Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday Only Speak - Christ the King


Today is Christ the King Sunday. The last day of the liturgical calendar. That means next week we start into the next year. (Yay we get new missalettes! I wonder what colour they will be for next year? I always wonder this. I am so lame. )

So we start the liturgical year with the first Sunday of Advent. Every year the liturgical season goes as follows: Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Ordinary Time.

Did you know that the readings focused on during each liturgical year, vary over a three year cycle? In year A they focus on the Gospels from Matthew, in year B from Mark and year C from Luke. John's Gospel is focused on during Easter and Lent usually, in any of the 3 years. At least this is the way it is in the Canadian Catholic Church.

Is that they way it is in your church? Are Christian religions the same in this regard? Is the US Catholic church the same as Canada? I do not know the answers to these questions. Do you?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ICL, I'm pretty sure that my church (United Methodist) does not foucus just on one of the Gospel's in a given year. I can't speak for anyone else though. Interesting! So, what color (or colour) do you think the missalettes will be this year? :-) Not lame- just curious. That's a wonderful thing!

Anonymous said...

We celebrate the New Year on January 1st. And our churches don't have any ordinary time. It's all pedal to the metal..
Or so I've been told..

Cat. said...

I think the lectionary is the same for most churches. I'm not sure who decides on it...some big committee somewhere, ICC maybe...?

Having said that, a LOT of Protestant mainline churches don't follow the lectionary (the specific Presbyterian church in which I grew up didn't), and I suspect the non-denominationals NEVER use the lectionary.

We do where I am now (still Presby). I go to a Bible Study that meets every week to discuss the upcoming Sunday's lectionary, sort of a preview of the sermon. I think the pastors of several of the churches in town meet weekly and do something similar: Lutherans, Catholics, Presbys, Methodists, Ass/God (hee), etc.

I did not realize that John is the "Lent and Easter" gospel. That makes me feel better about John being left out of the 3-year cycle! :-)

Do let us know what color the missalettes are!!