| | Home | | About ICL | | ICL Talks | | Crazy Stuff | | Videos | | Personal Photos | | Photoblog | | 100 Things about Bloggers | |

If you want to rate this site on IrishBlogs click here -> Irish Bloggers. You'll also see it on some of my other sites above ~ please feel free to rate them as well, whether you like them or not :-) Thanks, lads!



Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - #78, my #29

On Pat's blog A View from Ivry, I read that today - Feb 1st is for People are Participating in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming.

People all over the world will turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the first of February 2007, between 1:55 pm and 2:00 pm in New York, 18:55 for London, and 19h55 for Paris, Bruxelles, and Italy, 1:55pm in Ottawa, 10:55am on the Pacific Coast of North America.

This is not just about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity; this is about getting the attention of the media, politicians, and ourselves.

Five minutes of electrical down time for the planet: this does not take long, and costs nothing, and will show all political leaders that global warming is an issue that needs to come first and foremost in political debate.

Why February 1? This is the day when the new UN report on global climate change will come out in Paris.

In honour of this, I present my TT on ways to help with Global Warming. I've written a song on this and was hoping to get it videotaped and posted today but I'm still trying to memorize the words. So it'll have to come when you least expect it. LMAO!



  1. Replace a regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (cfl). They're butt ugly but in cute way knowing that they're good stuff!

  2. Move your thermostat down 2° in winter and up 2° in summer - a programmable thermostat can really help with that.

  3. Clean or replace filters on your furnace and air conditioner - easy and makes a big difference!

  4. Choose energy efficient appliances when making new purchases ~ Look for the Energy Star label!

  5. Wrap your water heater in an insulation blanket! It'll look really cute and cuddly. Also set it's therostat no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit while your at it.

  6. Use less hot water by installing a low flow showerhead and wash your clothes in cold water.

  7. Use a clothesline instead of a dryer whenever possible - hmmmmmm - smells good too!

  8. Turn off electronic devices you’re not using. Simply turning off your television, DVD player, stereo, and computer when you’re not using them will save you thousands of pounds of carbon dioxide a year. Gee I really need to do that more!!!

  9. Unplug electronics from the wall when you’re not using them. Even when turned off, things like hairdryers, cell phone chargers and televisions use energy. Wow! Who knew that?????

  10. Wait until your dishwasher is full before running and use the energy-saving setting. Less # of times to empty too! he he

  11. Reduce / Reuse / Recycle - need I say more?

  12. Buy locally grown and produced foods, fresh foods instead of frozen. Frozen food uses 10 times more energy to produce.

  13. Reduce the number of miles you drive by walking, biking, carpooling or taking mass transit wherever possible. Can you avoid driving 10 miles every week?
Don't forget the 5 minutes for Global Warming Awareness and come back later for me Global Warming song!



11 comments:

Unknown said...

My son laughs at me when I unplug items that are unused. I try to explain this to him. One day he'll get it. Happy TT!

Christie O. said...

you're so right! i try to do a lot of these, but I forget about #9 all the time! thanks for the list!! happy tt! (and happy new office tonight!!)

Anonymous said...

Very informative list.. Thank you!

Happy TT

Tug said...

GREAT ideas, reminders...thanks!

fringes said...

We turn our heat completely off at night and sleep under a zillion blankets. Comfy! Until it's time to get up in the morning. Brrrr. But it'll help bring down our energy usage.

Goofy Girl said...

We have the fluorescent lights :)

mist1 said...

This was fantastic. Good list.

Trish Ess said...

I do most of them. :) Summers are bad for me 'cause I can't deal with heat - I get pretty sick - so A/C is a MUST - but alternately, in winter, I'm always turning the thermostat down. :) Drives the husband insane. LOL

Happy TT!
Thanks for visiting!

Nathalie said...

Great TT, I just wish more people would do this. The most common reply I hear is 'it won't make any difference if I do it anyway'.
Bollocks, if we all do it, it would be a major difference. I unplug absolutely everything, don't keep lights on when it's not necesarry, and don't keep the heating on when the windows are open. Simple things, why can't more people do it I wonder?

Anonymous said...

Good list. I think I will do some of these. (Some are already done)

Anonymous said...

Excellent list!!!

Since I live in Sweden, we're already very aware of those facts and when I went through your list, I must say that I'm impressed over ourselves. We already follow your list.

Though it's good to be reminded about the issue. It's never too often for that.