| | Home | | About ICL | | ICL Talks | | Crazy Stuff | | Videos | | Personal Photos | | Photoblog | | 100 Things about Bloggers | |

If you want to rate this site on IrishBlogs click here -> Irish Bloggers. You'll also see it on some of my other sites above ~ please feel free to rate them as well, whether you like them or not :-) Thanks, lads!



Monday, September 04, 2006

Holy Crocomole!



AFP/Getty Images/File - Mon Sep 4, 12:23 PM ET

Steve Irwin, the famous Crocodile Hunter has been killed by a stingray off the northeast coast of Australia.

He was filming a documentary in the Great Barrier Reef near Queensland.

The stingray used it's toxic barb like a bayonet on a rifle and punctured the left side of his chest, killing him very quickly.



Irwin was married to US-born Terri Irwin and the couple had two children aged eight and three.

Reuters - Mon Sep 4, 11:32 AM ET

He was chastized in 2004 when he held his infant son while feeding a large crocodile during a show at his Australia Zoo reptile park. Irwin defended his antics at the time, even after considerable outrage.
AP - Mon Sep 4, 8:18 AM ET

He always seemed to take incredible risks, however, but I thought it was just played up for the show. In reality, it now appears that the things he did were as stupid as they appeared. It makes me think that it could be his son in the news, snatched by the jaws of the crocodile, instead of him, stabbed by a stingray.

Reuters - Mon Sep 4, 11:32 AM ET

But crikey, he sure made khaki a fashion statement.

More on Yahoo News including slideshow




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always liked him but knew he was nuts! I would have never guessed that he would have died that way- a sting ray seems so innocuous compared to most of the creatures he hung out with.

Meira{FB} said...

I am shocked. So full of life he was. It's a sad day.

Tammy said...

My $.02 is that he lived his life around danger. Dying like that was always a very good possibility. Not that it makes it any easier for his family.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Lisa - I agree. It's kinda weird that he died from that.

ML - He was a funny and excitable guy, wasn't he.

T - I guess you're right. Does that make him a candidate for WASTE of SPACE Monday? haha

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I am sad for his family but that stunt he pulled with his infant son was dangerous and just plain stupid.

I am sorry for their loss but come on he worked with dangerous animals it was definitly a risk he took everyday!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! I don't know what else to say! Bless his family!

Maribeth said...

I'm sending you a link. A friend of mine in Australia sent it to me. It's a song written by a fellow Aussie in his honor.
I think almost everyone will miss some part of that zany man!
Bless you and rest in peace, Steve!