| | Home | | About ICL | | ICL Talks | | Crazy Stuff | | Videos | | Personal Photos | | Photoblog | | 100 Things about Bloggers | |

If you want to rate this site on IrishBlogs click here -> Irish Bloggers. You'll also see it on some of my other sites above ~ please feel free to rate them as well, whether you like them or not :-) Thanks, lads!



Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday Photo Hunt - SAFE

This weeks theme is
SAFE
Photo Theme. Join the blogroll. Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
~Brought to us by TNChick ~


John 10:14, originally uploaded by irish_church_lady.

This is a house on the hillside of the area of the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry, Ireland. Notice the fog hanging over the hill. You can see it almost touching the ground to the left of the house.
I've often wondered if this is an old abandoned house from the Potato Famine Days starting in 1845 to 1851. It's a quite a stark contrast to the word SAFE. World disasters, whether long ago or recent are difficult to fathom if you believe in a loving God.
I do, and I have faith that I may know the full story some day. It is something that my human mind cannot comprehend, but thankfully my spiritual being is enough to sustain my faith.
I do pray for guidance and strength for the Lord to help me and others, in any time of darkness, so that we may live in his light once again.
An excerpt

An inquest was held on Monday last, before Francis Twiss, Esq., Coroner, on the body of a poor labouring man, named John Botend, of Ballireanig, to the west of Dingle, who fell on the new road there making, and expired immediately after being carried to his residence. The verdict was "he came by his death from hunger and cold."

On Tuesday, the following day, an inquest was also held on the body of John Browne, Kilquane, who died on the road from Tralee through Littlerough to Dingle on Monday last, as he was on his way from the Workhouse at Tralee to Dingle-- fell on the road and was taken into a farmer's house at Kiloummen-- and expired in a few hours after. The Verdict was "that John Browne, being in the Union Workhouse and making his way home to Dingle, a distance of over 30 miles, died of fatigue and weakness." --Kerry Examiner.
Next week: Windows

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So very interesting and poetic. I think in many ways we're all looking for a place and a way to feel safe, whether it be in the comfort of someone else's arms or within our own hearts. Lovely photo and lovelier thoughts.

Sending you cheery greetings and happy thoughts! Have a wonderful Halloween too!

Cheers,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Ah, Ireland has a lot to tell indeed. We were almost there when we were in Ireland and we did have a terrible fog so we couldn't see anything. What a pity!

I love all the views of Ireland - or Scotland for that matter.

Oh, and I just remembered, I missed a golden opportunity once to attend a wedding in Cork. My cousin from Toronto were marrying a Cork girl and I was so sad that I couldn't go!

Anonymous said...

I love your choice of verse and that's a lovely photo. I hope your week is off to a wonderful start, ICL!